Professional Development for New Canadians in the Arts
Airsa is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing newcomers with professional development in the arts sector operating on traditional Indigenous territories in Canada. Through peer mentorship, access to studio space and public events, Airsa’s programming offers training to newcomers from all artistic disciplines and traditions. Formerly, Airsa was registered as a Non-Governmental Organization in Iran (2003-2013). Airsa means ‘Rainbow’ in the ancient Persian Language, reflecting the belief that cultural pluralism and a diversity of perspectives enriches our quality of life.
Airsa will enhance the professional lives of newcomer artists living and working in Canada.
Airsa will create a context for artist newcomers to thrive and adapt to their new society.
- Newcomer participation provides added value to the Canadian arts sector.
- Exchange between diverse communities promotes multicultural acceptance and enriches educational opportunities.
- Professional development is a creative endeavour and should respect the core values of an artist’s identity.
- To provide training programs and access to facilities which are welcoming to all New Canadians, so that they may continue their practice and enter the workforce as artists, creatives, and arts administrators.
- To foster a sense of belonging and social well-being through exchange between New Canadian artists, patrons of the arts, and the public.
- To develop community ties amongst New Canadian artists.